[Homeroast] homeroast Kahlua???

Steve Carlson amazigh93 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 21:55:00 CST 2010

I just got my homebrew limoncello tucked away into the cupboard to infuse
(with a neighbor's meyer lemons, so this should be good).  Now I'm looking
for more flavors to extract.  It didn't take long to realize that I should
be trying to make some kahlua with my homeroast beans.  I figure with a
little know-how we should be able to knock the socks off what is sold in
stores.  I did a quick check on the internet and got some ideas, but found
nothing to the level of what I'm sure this crowd can offer.  Anyone done
this?  What kind of beans are good for kahlua?  Sumatra? Ethiopia? Yemen?
And do you steep the coffee grounds directly in the alcohol, as some
internet posters have suggested is best? What grind level?  How long do you
macerate? How do you get the viscoscity up?  etc, etc.    Any thoughts are
welcome.