[Homeroast] irritation when measuring beans for espresso

Doug Hoople doughoople at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 17:01:37 CST 2010

Hi Michael,

I missed your email on the main list somehow, and so I'm copying in from the
quoted text of (just plain) Mike's email.

I had the Virtuoso before I had the Vario, and I could tell a distinct
difference in the cup. The flavors were more pronounced, and the cup was
cleaner and sweeter. That's for vacuum brewing. As already mentioned, I
don't drink espresso, so must leave it to folks like (just plain) Mike chime
in.

There is practically no grounds retention at all. There certainly isn't the
kind of buildup that plagues several other grinders. If you puff air through
while running the grinder empty (quick-closing the hopper lid, for example),
you'll get a really light dusting of remainders, but that's it.

There can be a static problem, at least initially, that makes the grinder
seem a bit messy, but it seems to diminish over time. Currently, I simply
let the grinder rest after grinding for 30 seconds or so (typical for
waiting for the water to finish rising in the funnel), and the static seems
to dissipate completely in that interval.

Finally, it's pretty quiet. It's not silent, but I thought it was a bit more
discreet than the Virtuoso, and it doesn't strike me as noisy at all.

Hope this helps.

Doug