[Homeroast] irritation when measuring beans for espresso

Michael Dhabolt michael.dhabolt at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 16:17:33 CST 2010

I use the Vario (have been 'testing' it for 10 months or so).  My use
is for espresso grind (the only thing we drink here).  I'm quite
impressed with it.  If you shop the web, $400 or so seems to be the
going price. The burr set, burr carrier and additional features of the
Vario puts it in an entirely different class than the less expensive
grinders as well as some of the more expensive ones.

If you have a few months to wait and use your grinder for espresso
infrequently,  Baratza is almost ready to introduce a variation of the
Virtuoso with considerably finer grind adjustment that is less
expensive than the Vario.  I don't recommend the Virtuoso for long
term espresso only use but it would probably be a great grinder for
general use.

The above attitude is not based on actually playing with the new
model.  When it becomes available, it may surpass my expectations.
Baratza has developed a habit of accomplishing pretty nifty stuff at
reasonable price points.

Mike (just plain)

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 8:24 AM, Michael Wade <mlwade at pacbell.net> wrote:
> At last, someone who is using the grinder I'm considering for brew!
>
> Doug, if I might ask, how much difference did you notice in the cup?
>
> I've read that a design priority was to minimize grind retention.  Do you
> find this to be true?
>
> I'm also curious about the noise level, but it would have to be quieter than
> my old Maestro...
>
> Michael Wade
>

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Doug Hoople" <doughoople at gmail.com>

>>> ridiculous. If your car ran the way that grinder expert suggested, you'd