[Homeroast] Workshop # 8

Yakster yakster at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 12:21:17 CST 2010

Greg,

I was thinking that I'd go lighter with the roast for the second half pound
of this.  I only picked up a pound due to my stash reduction project... and
I was able to get away with getting espresso blends at all because my sis
gave me a Sweet Maria's gift cert for xmas... what a great gift.

I just started tasting # 8 and finished my last batch of Liquid Amber.  I
stashed half of the roasted beans in the freezer to take out when I'm
finishing the first half, but I'm not sure that I should have bothered,
since half a batch, 90 grams, sure doesn't look like much espresso.  When I
run out of the xmas espresso blends, I'm just going to have to roast and
blend my own with my stash, maybe revisit some S.O. espresso.

As for Red Berry and Barefoot, you'll have to give me a heads up of your
plans.  I dropped into Red Berry this morning after dropping the kids off at
school and the roasted decaf off at my In-Law's and enjoyed Barefoot's Red
Cab (chocolate raspberry) and Ecco's espresso blend.  I had previously lent
Jeff my spare Clever Coffee Dripper to play with and my spare Cory glass
filter rod to check out since they have a Yama 8 cup siphon brewer behind
the counter that they're thinking of using (if Jeff can convince his
Barista's that it's safe... but not with glass rods).  Jeff liked the CCD
and said he's thinking of getting one.  Jeff showed me his coffee backpack,
a small corny keg that pressurizes and holds coffee so that they can canvas
the City Hall parking lot for potential customers and provide on-the-spot
samples... I asked him if he had a cape to go along with that.  After my
second shot, Andy Newbom of Barefoot came in and I got to be introduced and
talk some more coffee.

I'd be up for meeting you one morning at Red Berry, it's a great, small
place and they have two of three great roasters on bar for espresso,
Barefoot, Ecco, and Ritual.  Jeff let me know that he updates his Yelp
listing with the coffee's on bar and they just got their website up and he's
planning on learning Dreamweaver to keep that updated, but right now the
Yelp page is the most up to date for what's being pulled as espresso.  I go
in the mornings or at lunch (Pho Lan is next door and they have some good
Vietnamese chow) since they close by six during the week.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/red-berry-coffee-bar-san-jose
http://www.redberrycoffeebar.com/

As far as Indian food near Barefoot, I used to go to Sneeha on Lawrence and
Central when I worked in the area for their buffet lunch.  I see it compared
to a closer Bangalore Cafe on El Camino which I haven't tried, but these
aren't my favorite places.  You might want to try Vegetarian House in Santa
Clara which I hear is good... I go to Loving Hut in Milpitas near where I
work now (and near 99 Ranch Market) for terrific Vegan food, now I'm getting
hungry.

You can email me off-list if you've got time to meet up while your in the
area and we can see if we can make something happen.

-Chris
yakster at gmail.com