[Homeroast] Workshop # 8

Greg Hollrigel ghollrigel at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 09:18:08 CST 2010

Excellent timing and comments Chris.

As just so happens, I pulled my last shot of this last night, too.  I have 1
or 2 more lbs of greens in the pantry.  I've gone through 2 pounds of this
blend, and last night's shot was the best I've gotten with it, and my
thoughts pretty closely track yours.  My roast was probably a FC+ to a
little more (I took it into 2nd crack about 20 seconds) and it was about 10
days rest.  I pulled it with my manual lever with a good amount of
resistance, whatever that means (to me, it means, I'm going to get a more
syrrupy shot than watery shot.  :-))  The shot was about 1oz or a bit more
from about 12-13g of beans.  The shot was definitely smooth, and the first
half of the shot was somewhat sweet, bright, and balanced.  The last half
was a bit more zesty is all I can think of.  Tom's notes refer to brightness
and tannic tightness - I think that is how I felt it was.  But, I didn't get
much of fruit or chocolate flavors, overall just a nice feeling.

On previous roasts of this blend, I've always danced around 2nd crack, and
did not have much success.  So I think I'll stay in the 2nd crack range and
see if I can have more success.

Just as my comparison point, I'm pulling great shots with some roasted beans
from Klatch, so I know it's either my roasting skills on Workshop #8, or the
blend isn't my style.

And to go OT, I'm looking forward to trying Red Berry Coffee Bar and
revisiting Barefoot next week (probably early mornings on Tues & Wed, or
maybe dinner on Tues).  Any recommendations for good Indian or other
vegetarian ethnic food near Barefoot?

Thanks,

Greg