[Homeroast] Workshop # 8

Yakster yakster at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 04:37:56 CST 2010

Greg,

I got into the Workshop # 8 "Waw, Bukan Main!" that I roasted on Saturday
(1/30) to FC tonight after eating dinner and roasting some almonds in the
Behmor.  I roasted 8 oz on 1/2# P3 C profile, had a two minute first crack
starting at 12:47 and hit cool about 20 seconds into second crack at 15:49.

I hooked up the PID to the La Peppina and set the kettle temp for 202 F,
loaded 14 g into the double basket and pulled a shot for myself.  I'm
getting a fruity citrus component, but the shot wasn't particularly thick or
chocolaty.  It didn't really pop, kind of muted.  I pulled the next shot as
a cappuccino for the wife who was calling for coffee, used the thrift store
battery operated milk frother on microwaved soy for the first time rather
then futz with the La Peppina ventilator lid to steam... foam was stiff, not
great, but the Wife enjoyed the Cap... should get better with practice.

My last shot was a 7 g single of the last of my Liquid Amber batch and I
must say it really blew the # 8 pull out of the water.

I'll see what a few more days rest and maybe some changes in technique can
bring from this blend.  I think next time I'll lower the dose to 12 as I was
fairly well choking it.

-Chris