[Homeroast] irritation when measuring beans for espresso

Doug Hoople doughoople at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 00:35:53 CST 2010

RayO's very entertaining, and occasionally enlightening, but he never let
the facts get in the way of a good dramatic gesture.

He had a bad experience with his Solis, and never misses a chance to remind
anyone. But methinks he presses his case a little far in imputing tawdry
marketing dodges into Barata's methods.

I'm the satisfied owner of a Baratza Vario, and I've read most of the
reviews out there carefully over time, as most of us obsessed types do. I
can't spot the plagiarism that RayO has repeatedly cited here, and the
reviews that I've read seem reasonably even-handed and carefully thought
out. I have even seen reference to grind size variations and
grind consistency in some of these reviews, so I also don't know what lapse
in that category Der Opa is on about.

I have one reason why I can't recommend the Vario on this list:

1) Sweet Maria's doesn't sell it.

There's another reason, too, and that's that I don't drink espresso. I don't
know how it performs as an espresso grinder, and this list is
espresso-obsessed, so I'm not qualified to say. Except, of course, to say
that it's really fine for vacpot grinding.

But I certainly see no marketing conspiracy to rig the reviews, as RayO
does. And, contrary to RayO's claims, I've found Baratza to be
customer-oriented to an extreme not often seen these days, and have directly
seen a high level of ethics and integrity in their operation. Whatever
anyone thinks of the products themselves, there's no reason whatsoever to
question Baratza's integrity. That would be poetic injustice indeed, as
there are plenty of companies that deserve such opprobrium, and Baratza
isn't one of them..

Doug