[Homeroast] irritation when measuring beans for espresso

Terry Stockdale terry at terrystockdale.com
Wed Feb 3 22:34:20 CST 2010

At 03:49 AM 2/3/2010, you wrote:
>"...the Baratzza Vario is getting great reviews"
>
>Ever notice how many of these "reviews" use the same words and wording as
>the marketing department's advertising copy?
>
>The reviewers never make mention of the narrow latitude in size variation of
>the grounds at a particular grind setting, how small and resettable the
>grinding increments are. Never any cupping to describe the effect of the
>slight grind size adjustments on the cup.
>
>There has been some comedy passed off as serious discussion re: the *Desired
>* grind size variation at any particular grind setting. That borders on the
>ridiculous. If your car ran the way that grinder expert suggested, you'd be
>arrested on suspicion of DUI.
>
>Why have laws and adjustments if "anything goes?"
>
>If a nice grinder won't fit in the Lilliputian doll house, and a chain saw
>would be too noisy- Starbucks has your coffee waiting...
>
>Cheers, Mabuhay, und Guten Morgen -RayO, aka Opa!
>
>Got Grinder?

Sure do.  I upgraded to the Vario and I'm lovin' it.

Formerly, I used a Rocky, but I messed it up when changing the burrs
- I got lots of clickety sounds and a wide mix of grinds &
dust.  Rocky was having trouble feeding quality grinds to my La
Spaziale Vivaldi II.

I was looking for a great grinder with the ability to switch quickly
and easily from Drip to Espresso.   My choices were the Mazzer Mini,
one of the electronic Mini;s - and then I found the Vario.

I'm enjoying my espresso much more than I ever did with my old
Rocky/Silvia combination, even in its good days.  I'm having one or
two SO doubles each evening.  The Vario + Vivaldi II makes a good
combination.  The clean flavor and awesome crema have returned.

--
Terry Stockdale -- Baton Rouge, LA
My computer tips site and newsletters:  http://www.TerrysComputerTips.com