[Homeroast] PBS on TV in 29 minutes at 10:30 P Pacific Time tonight (2-2)

Tom & Maria - Sweet Maria's Coffee sweetmarias at sweetmarias.com
Wed Feb 3 14:20:59 CST 2010

Yes , it follows the head of the Oromia Cooperative Union around. One
issue people in the trade have with it is that, especially since this
came out, he has  some notion that he is the saviour, and should be
deified. Oromia has had very mixed results in terms of quality, from
there 100+ mills. They are a huge, powerful cooperative. There is
some good info in Black Gold but I am not sure of the portrait it
paints, and of Tadesse himself. Last 2 trips I have spent time with
the YCFCU and SCFCU (Yirga Cheffe Coffee Farmers Cooperative Union,
and Sidamo ...) and had some interesting experiences visiting mills
with them. Quality issues persist, and the problem is that if they
ruin coffee in processing, they are not capturing the full potential
value of it, and returning that to the farmers. I think the coops are
actually doing a poor job of quality control, with no communication
between mills and no standards. See my videos on you tube of really
bad cherry selection and fermentation techniques... anyway, i am
getting sidetracked - but there are a lot of issues that black gold
doesnt even touch on... -Tom

>Greetings, all,
>

>Here in the SF Bay Area, KTEH TV will be showing a short film called
>"Black Gold", described this way,  "Black Gold" examines the global
>coffee industry and the challenges faced by small coffee growers.
>(Documentary).
>

>Sorry for the short notice.
>

>Happy Roasting,
>

>robert yoder