[Homeroast] Roaster woes...

raymanowen at gmail.com raymanowen at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 13:26:15 CST 2010

I have the replacement for your blown Fth, eschew RS. Rated at 800° and 13
Amperes, this really is a thermal fuse- just recalibrated a few degrees and
a few amps from the one that blew. Right, the RS replacement will blow
unless you quit using it.

Normal fuses run at over half their full rated load current in a
non ventilated enclosure will get hot and melt open. You really shouldn't
operate high temperature or high power devices unless you can devote 100%
attention.

Operate a thermal fuse near its full rated load inside a hot roaster, and
you will expose yourself to some Neanderthal design that imposes an
arbitrary limit on your roasting enjoyment. I think "Home roasting" means
Don't Run It More Than 5% of the time with a full bean load.

Just on general principles, the thermal fuse should be the first thing you
recalibrate before you start using a new piece of equipment. Heat guns are
supposed to get hot, but Master is the only one I've seen that doesn't have
an Fth.

Cheers, Mabuhay, Iechyd -RayO, aka Opa!

Remember the 100% attention duty cycle.