[Homeroast] how many scoops per cup?

Yakster yakster at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 17:57:27 CST 2010

I've been using 2 AP (AeroPress) scoops for a long time to make small cups
of coffee for the Wife and I each morning.  This is the standard I use for
AP coffee and now for CCD (Clever Coffee Dripper) coffee.  I still use this
standard for the AP when I brew at work.

I have recently been measuring the weight of the grounds and the water, the
2 AP scoops of whole coffee weight out to be about 24 grams of ground
coffee.  I add 450 grams of 30 second off the boil water to these grounds in
the CCD to yield two 200 gram cups of coffee (about 6.75 oz each).  The nice
thing about weighing this is that I can now make a single serving for myself
by adding 225 grams of hot water to 12 grams of coffee because when I tried
to make single cups in the CCD, I have ended up mis-estimating the water
level by eye and ending up brewing too much coffee for the cup.

I was giving the Wife the first cup, but after reading Tom's results from
recent experiments where he stated that the first cup is stronger I've been
reversing this, but this is a slight problem because she takes Splenda and
the speed of the first cup is enough to mix in the sweetener, but the second
cup drains much slower and I may have to resort to a mini whisk in my
double-wall glass Bodum Pavina glasses, A step I'd rather skip.

For vac pot, I use the measuring scoop that came with the Yama 8 cup.

-Chris