[Homeroast] how many scoops per cup?

Tom Parkin tom.parkin at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 14:55:01 CST 2010

Hi Michael,

I only ever brew for filter or french press, and I tend to a ratio of
50 - 60 grams of coffee per litre of water.  In imperial measurements
I think that would be something like 0.36 oz per 6 oz cup, which, if
my conversions have been done correctly, yields two tablespoons of
coffee to a 6 oz cup.

So far as I can tell, this is in line with the SCAA's recommendations
on coffee to water ratios:

http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/1thebasics.html#howmuchground

So, I don't think you should be freaking out at the prospect of 4
scoops to make 2 cups of coffee.  It's interesting, though, to note
that you independently arrived at the same ratios that SCAA recommend
:-)

Tom

PS.  I did recently freak out myself when I received my shiny new
Aeropress for Christmas and realised it demands a full 30g of coffee
to make a double shot.  For someone with a hand grinder, that's a
whole lot of work...

On 2 February 2010 20:23, Tim TenClay <teejtc at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've always heard 1 coffee scoop (2 Tbs) per cup (6 oz cup, not 8 oz).  I
> tend to find that too much.   I use about 1.5 oz for a 10 c. pot (again...
> cups are not 8 oz....)
>
> Grace and peace,
>  `tim
>
> On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 3:06 PM, michael brown <disracer at msn.com> wrote:
>

>> Okay i have to tell on myself here.  It's been so long since i've made
>> "regular" drip coffee that i couldn't remember how many scoops per cup
>> to make.  Seems like i remembered one scoop per two cups (scoops being
>> tablespoons).  I did that and tasted nothing, tasted like hot water.  I
>> tried another coffee, same thing.  Tried a third, same thing.  I've
>> been pulling shots for so long, and CCD's that i thought i aughta try
>> it as a drip.  Well it freaked me out.  These were left over coffees of
>> coffees that i had already sold to friends and such.  I'm thinking,
>> "there's something VERY wrong."
>>

>> I finally got up to 4scoops for 2cups before i could really taste the
>> coffee.  that still seems like an incredible amount, so i'm going to
>> ask the stupid question, or better yet, i'll mask it as a poll
>> question:  What's your scoop to cup ratio?  I'm still on the fence
>> about whether or not i should be freaking out.  Still doesn't quite sit
>> right with me.  Although the shots are great!  and the CCD's have been
>> good, this just doesn't seem right.
>>

>> By the way, these were various coffees; Brazil taken 30sec into 2C,
>> Sumatra about 30sec into 2C, and Guat just a few snaps into second.
>>

>> Michael B
>>

> --
> The content of this e-mail may be private or of confidential nature.
> Do not forward without permission of the original author.
> --
> Rev. Tim TenClay, D.Min.
> Personal Blog: http://lexorandi.tenclay.org
> "Only a religion which is a way of living in every sphere either deserves to
> or can hope to survive."

Tom Parkin
www.thhp.org.uk
Morality, like art, means drawing a line someplace /Wilde/