[Homeroast] irritation when measuring beans for espresso

raymanowen at gmail.com raymanowen at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 03:34:04 CST 2010

A suggestion:

I, too, like fresh espresso, whatever it takes. When I first got the BUFF, I
had a new set of burrs waiting for it. Just for grins, first I ground 10g of
some Panama beans I had been using (that very morning) in the comical-burred
Solis Maestro Plus.

Kind of hit-or-miss for TechniVorm drip, mostly MISS for espresso brewing in
the Capresso. Two completely different coffee pots had only one thing in
common to prevent the articulation of coffee flavor and aroma, while giving
the random super mug or phenomenal shot. 20 questions? Same answer: Grinder,
silly- Grinder!.

Now that I cranked the burr spacing down to 19.5 from 20 or 0.0119" from
0.0122" [I actually measured a discrepancy with my earlier measurement. I
was just cleaning/ vacuuming the burrs and grind chamber this time, put the
dial calipers on the threads to reconfirm my earlier thread pitch
measurement.]

A flood of crema that settled into a wonderful shot of espresso

Puff* the grinder  to clear the grounds from the chute and grinding chamber.
If you don't clear them out of the grinder, what will they be doing between
grinding sessions? That's right, going stale. And that's what you'll be
drinking in your next shot. Muy repugnante, isn't it?

*Puffer = the round bellows from a broken thrift store airpot. Take the
hopper off and puff the residual grounds into a frothing pitcher with the
main grind. I do it every grind- the quantity of grounds is amazing.

I vacuum the grinder at least daily in the forward and back directions. It's
all a minor effort compared to growing the coffee. Imagine a year doing that
in the tropics. Like the farmer, you have to make hay while the sun is
shining. A whole year.

If you initially measure out the beans into your PF basket, just below level
with the rim, you can either grind them directly or bag them in a Ziploc
sandwich bag for a trip through the freezer prior to grinding. Surface
hardening or a total freeze seems to help grinding, and the beans crack to
bits rather than tearing like a sheet of torn rather than cut paper.

The basket full of beans yields a nice pile of grounds that packs down to
Schomer's recommended depth.

Size matters- ever see a machinist using an engine lathe he could just carry
around under one arm? The Mazzers cited in Ryan's post outweigh the Rocky by
at least 2:1. ("Rocky motor weighs about 6 pounds" My grind adjustment nut
alone weighs 4 pounds.)

Cheers, Mabuhay, Iechyd da -RayO, aka Opa!

Got Grinder?