[Homeroast] irritation when measuring beans for espresso

Allon Stern allon at radioactive.org
Mon Feb 1 14:14:05 CST 2010

On Jan 31, 2010, at 10:16 AM, Claus Thøgersen wrote:

> HI,
>
> I use my Mazzer Mini E both for brewed coffee and also for espresso. Since I have different beans I only put the necessary beans in the grinder for the coffee and espresso I am making. This works fine for AE and Vacuum brewing, but with Espressos it seems to be different even though I measure out the same amount of beans for the first and second espresso there are more coffee in the grind of the second espresso.
>
> Obviously it must have something to do with coffee beeing trapped somewhere in the grinder, but I try to make sure that all the beans in the hopper is always beeing grinded.
>
> Any ideas how to avoid this situation other than weighing each portion of espresso after it is grinded would be nice.

All the beans in the hopper will be ground, but not all the grounds will make it out of the chute.
I grind my espresso, then stop the grinder, and use a brush to pull out the grounds from the chute, then grind again, and repeat.
(On my grinder, I removed the hopper, and also brush out the throat of the grinder - a few beans and bean shards hang up on a shelf above the burrs)
Some people use a click-clack lid to blow the grinds out of the chute.

You're on the right track!
-
allon