[Homeroast] Aeropress and BPA

Sweet Maria's Coffee sweetmarias at sweetmarias.com
Mon Feb 1 13:15:07 CST 2010

HI all - I guess the topic has come up here so I thought I would
report about my inquiry to Aerobie on BPA.

Since August 1, 2009, the Aeropress has been BPA free - they switched
to a new material that is clearer and contains no BPA.  There is more
information on this page from the Aerobie website -
http://www.aerobie.com/Products/Details/AeroPressMaterialsDescription.htm
All of the Aeropresses we have are current stock - so we have not
older stock presses.  So all of the presses we are selling are BPA
free.

I was told that the older Aeropresses did contain BPA. They were
tested and the coffee made in it had no trace of BPA,  but Aerobie
decided to err on the side of caution and change the material. The
older presses have a sort of milky appearance, clear but cloudy
plastic. The new presses are crystal clear plastic. Also, the
appearance of the indicators printed on the press are different; in
the older model (the one Tom still uses at home) the indicators are
long ovals. On the new presses they are circles.  So the models are
pretty easy to tell apart. The photos on our site are the older model
http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.aeropress.php  I will try to take a
photo of the new one so you compare the two.

If you have concerns, you can buy new parts from Aerobie or just buy
a new one, though according to the tests they conducted, no BPA was
transferred from the plastic to the coffee.  For whatever that is
worth.

Best- Maria