[Homeroast] Off-list Question: Restaurants on the Ave

Allon Stern allon at radioactive.org
Mon Feb 1 07:31:03 CST 2010

On Jan 31, 2010, at 9:28 PM, Rich wrote:

> Microsoft Outlook Express does that to people.  Bill thinks all laundry should be aired in public view.

Actually, the list software itself is probably largely to blame.
While the From: header in the email is the sender, your mail client looks at the Reply-To: header when you reply to a message, and this is rewritten by the mail server to always be the list. Not unusual for a list, but requires care and manual intervention when attempting private replies :)

This doesn't mean I don't dislike Outlook Express. It has done unspeakable evil to people's expectations of email. However in this case, it isn't to blame (much).
-
allon