[Homeroast] Brand New Roaster-To-Be here

Edward Bourgeois edbourgeois at gmail.com
Tue Dec 28 22:51:27 CST 2010

I tried some roasts with a unmodified popper 2 a couple years ago. You
have very limited control but can get a decent roast and it's a great
way to start. You can really see and smell and hear what happens along
during a roast. Great roasting very much involves the senses.
On a first roast I suggest taking it into 2nd crack (but not black!)
to experience the whole cycle. Shooting for about a vienna roast.
 I added greens til the batch just loses the ability to move much in
the chamber. Then  used a long handled wooden spoon and mitt and stir
them til they lose enough of their moisture weight so they start
churning on their own. If you slightly tip the roaster you can get
better action and just shim it in place. You'll get some flying
flakes(chaff) fairly quickly. Watch the color change of the beans. The
beans will warm up and start to release moisture and begin to be tan.
At that point they will be at a roasting temp. Around 300f bean
surface temp. The  ramp stage  begins to first crack. The
environmental temp and bean temp are rising pretty quickly. You'll
then here first crack start and then finish. It will be a popping
sound. Anytime after this they are drinkable. Next you will hear 2nd
crack (like rice krispies snap and crackle. As 2nd crack picks up
momentum (rolling 2nd) dump the beans in a colander and shake (a fan
helps). Try to cool them in less than 5mins. The beans will need to
rest and release some co2. The bloom you see when brewing fresh
coffee. Very generally 2-4 days the flavor starts to come front and
center and after 10-14 often tail off.
Keep a pad and timer and take notes of times of changes and cracks to
compare with cup taste and future roasts. Learning to roast is an
endless journey with a better and better cup in hand.

On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 5:34 PM,  <jsutton at sutton.org> wrote:
> Hello all:
>
> I've won a WBP2 auction on EBAY and am awaiting delivery.  And after much
> reading, bid and won a convection oven on EBAY yesterday.  I have
> AuctionSniper set for a couple Stir Crazy's ending soon.
>
> I love to build things so the MODs article on these units are very
> enticing as is the prospect of tasting fresh roasted, non-stale coffee.
>
> I've ordered some green beans and accessories  from SweetMaria's as well
> as Hawaiian producers so that will come sometime after the New Year.
>
> I used to live in Hawaii when I was in the service (Oahu). And I've
> traveled there many times since - years back for Windsurfing vacations,
> then golf, and recently to take the kids back as they graduated from
> highschool.
> I was amazed to find the ubiquitous sugar cane fields were gone, no more
> 'black snow' ever again.  Even the Dole Pineapple fields are largely gone
> and some replaced by Dole Coffee fields up on the North Shore.
>
> I live in Virginia now  (Nawthern VUHginya).
>
> I look forward to learning how to roast properly through listening to all
> the posts and advice here.
> Jim

Ed Bourgeois aka farmroast
Amherst MA.