[Homeroast] SM Coffees of the Year, what were yours?

Yakster yakster at gmail.com
Sat Dec 18 21:50:46 CST 2010

Lets see, I'll have to think about this.  For most of the year, I was on a
serious stash reduction program, except for the espresso blends I picked up
at the very beginning of the year thanks to a Christmas gift certificate
from my sister.  My time off work also didn't help matters, so I didn't
really start getting in new coffees until August.  Here's the list of
coffees under consideration.

   - Brazil Joao de Campos Yellow Catuai
   - Colombia Peaberry Los Caracoles del Sur
   - *El Salvador Matalapa - Tablon El Amate*
   - Ethiopia DP Jimma - Nigusie Lemma
   - Papua New Guinea Wahgi Peaberry
   - *Sumatra Blue Batak Tarbarita Peaberry*

>From where I sit tonight (next to my daughter watching Andrew Zimmern eat
Haggis on Bizarre Foods) the El Salvador Matalapa and the Sumatra Blue Batak
Tarbarita Peaberry are probably the two that stand out.  The former because
of the very clean prep and nice orange notes and the latter because of the
peat and cedar notes that reminded me somewhat of the Guatemala DP Oriente.

Really, though, they've all been good, especially since I've cut back to
faster, 300 g roasts in the Behmor and been cooling the beans externally,
they've turned out really well.

-Chris