[Homeroast] Fwd: Coffee Roaster Business Plan - Statement of purpose, Description of business, Goals and objectives, Management, Productservice

Yakster yakster at gmail.com
Sat Dec 18 21:30:57 CST 2010

That's a fair question, Tom, and I haven't had time to answer it.  I also
still haven't had time to go back and read that business plan so I don't
know how good a read it was.

While I wait for first crack on El Salvador Matalapa -Tablon El Amate in the
Behmor, I'll jot some thoughts down.

First, I love to research coffee and read a lot of articles on coffee trying
to increase my knowledge.  This includes things like going through the SCAA
library for podcasts and articles and reading scientific papers that I don't
completely understand as well as reading a few coffee forums.  Business
plans, though, are something that I'm completely unfamiliar with.  I'm
technical by nature and so far in my career have always left this stuff to
an employer because it sounded like so much work (and risk).  There's time's
I thought I could go out on my own as a consultant, but didn't pursue this.

When I was laid off earlier in the year, I thought a lot about my career.  I
considered a change, and coffee being a passion of mine appealed to me, but
just wasn't striking me as realistic given my circumstances... first crack
approaches, pardon me while I focus on the roasting for a bit.  Ok, took the
beans to FC and they're cooling and the Behmor's cooling so where was I?
Oh, yeah, looking for a job.  Luckily I was able to find a job in my chosen
field in a pretty short period of time, one that I've been at for eight
months now, but in that time my passion for coffee hasn't died.  I've got a
MyPressi Twist at work, a Clever, Chemex, AP and the job came with such bad
coffee that I almost always make my own home-roast for an afternoon coffee
break.  But the fact that I haven't read this business plan in detail
probably is a clue that I'm not serious about this at this time.  Just a
daydream, for now.

Coffee's in the Can, looks like it'll be a good cup.

-Chris