[Homeroast] THE home roaster

Tom & Maria - Sweet Maria's Coffee sweetmarias at sweetmarias.com
Thu Dec 16 13:33:24 CST 2010

One thing to consider is that Behmor is a limited time 1 lb roaster -
as the bulbs get coated, and it ages, it becomes less capable of 1
lb. I am doing a 1 Lb roast of Panama Camiseta as I write this on a
slightly worn Behmor to see the max degree of roast I can get. I also
asked Maria to make sure the batch size of 1/2 lb is the one we
advocate, and that 1 Lb. has a big asterisk after it explaining what
the limitations are. We have 3 behmors here, and one definitely
cannot do 1 lb due to age. ( PS: Frankly, I dislike it as a 1/4 Lb
roaster too. )

>>  I think that a 150-300 gram batch is ideal. Many are going to want 1 lb.
>
>They *think* they want 1 lb., so they get promised 1 lb. . . . but you're
>not going to get it in an inexpensive 120V plug-in appliance.  That's one of
>my "objections" to the Behmor, the 1 lb. "claim" (that, along with the
>idiotic "profiles").  Mine will turn 1 lb. brown, barely.  I tell it a
>pound, and load 300 gram, which is plenty.  I can't get to FC+, or even FC,
>otherwise.  Apart from that I'm satisfied with it . . . I've given up on
>"profile" roasting . . . I just set it on P1 and listen for the cracks.
>It's kind of full circle . . . I used to be nuts about "profile" (with the
>fully instrumented and controlled Rosto) . . . now I'm content with "just"
>an appliance . . . and good beans (thank you so very much for that) fresh
>roasted . . .

-Tom