[Homeroast] Quest M3 Arrives, Is it worth it?

Hank Perkins hankperkins at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 18:26:45 CST 2010

Scott,  the rotation is close to the Hot Top

Late last night I returned from a long business trip. I hope to avoid climbing in any more airplanes until 2011. I do have one more trip which I will drive. It is about 400 miles and we hope to do a over and back in one day.

Anyhow, I just completed a 3 roast session.  And here are some additional comments:

It was really easy to hit city + to full city with a decaf

I love the back to back sessions.

Before I ordered and initially after I unpacked the Quest I was concerned with the roasters performance cooling the beans.  I felt the cooling was cheesy and planned to build a proper bean cooler.  WRONG.  I am almost exclusively roasting 125g batches and the cooler works fantastic.  With a 200-225 gram batch it works just fine.

I ordered and received an Omega Dual temperature data logger HH806AU. Eric Severen in MD is sending me 2 thermocouples to allow ET and BT data collection. This will turn my my Quest into a true mini pro roaster.

Over the weekend I was in Baltimore and visited the SPRO coffee shop. They brew coffees with Yama, Chemex, AeroPress, and some other methods I had never heard of as well as all the standard espresso drinks. While there I met the owner Jay. He was very interested in the Quest.     A very cool guy and a very cool place. The young barrista's made me feel very welcome.

One last note,  It would have been fairly unlikely I would have ordered this puppy if Tom and Maria had not gone out on a limb and began carrying them. I want to publicly thank them for the offering.