[Homeroast] THE home roaster

Tom & Maria - Sweet Maria's Coffee sweetmarias at sweetmarias.com
Wed Dec 15 15:11:08 CST 2010

It's something we have batted around for a long time. It comes up
recurrently. Honestly at one point there seemed to be almost TOO much
interest in home roasting, mostly by those who wanted to strike it
rich by inventing THE home roasting machine. But their ideas of good
features always seemed to be , well, everything I would find either
useless, or ineffective. The problem with trying to create a
reasonably priced home roaster is that it takes a skill set I don't
have. I can dream it up but I can't make it go ... then add to that
the huge problem with actually getting it manufactured right, and not
going over budget ... it's not easy. It makes me have some
appreciation for Behmor although I see it's faults. I would not want
to make an appliance to convince people who would normally not roast
their own coffee that they should. I would want to make one for those
who DO roast their own coffee, to allow them to do it better. The
Quest M3 is not really what I would have in mind, but it does have
the right feature set. And of course it is also not really a home
machine at all, not a home appliance, nothing you would ever find
among blenders and toaster ovens. One way to approach this that might
get around some legal hurdles (because a really GOOD home roaster is
probably not going to be idiot-proof, and I am sure would be
classified as a fire hazard by some agency) is to make a kit. If it
was build around some commonly available heat source, and you had to
put it together, but gave control of heat/air, manual control of
roast curves, physical sampling from the roast chamber, and cooled
outside the roast chamber in 4 min or less, that would hit most of my
targets. One disagreement I might find with other home roasters would
be batch size. I think that a 150-300 gram batch is ideal. Many are
going to want 1 lb. I think the best thing about home roasting is
freshness and variety. So I like smaller batches. But if you can
roast and cool at the same time in a machine like this, I think most
would be okay with a 1/2 lb batch.

Tom

-Tom