[Homeroast] Why I will be selling my Behmor and buying an M3

Allon Stern allon at radioactive.org
Tue Dec 14 13:49:29 CST 2010

On Dec 13, 2010, at 6:45 AM, David Rossell wrote:

> This list is full of roasters with far, far more experience than I have, but I can't help but feel that the Behmor has gotten a bad rap in this thread.  I regularly roast 12 oz of beans on P3 without any problem at all of getting them through first crack and into second (if that's what I'm shooting for).  I sometimes roast 1 lb. of beans, again without a problem reaching first crack.  I don't use a voltage regulator or any fancy electrical devices.  I plug in the Behmor put in the beans, and it just works.
>
> For me at least, the Behmor fills a crucial niche--an indoor roaster that can do 12-16 ounces of coffee per batch.  I "hack" the P3 roast profile by opening the door during and after first crack to stretch the roast a bit.  Am I not squeezing every last bit of flavor out of the beans?  Almost certainly.  Are my roasts 100 percent reproducable.  Nope.  But that's okay, since I'm roasting for my own pleasure and that of my family and friends.  And I can do it under my range hood without filling the house with smoke.
>
> That's an amazing machine.

I don't think that anybody doubts the capabilities of this roaster.
However don't gloss over its limitations.

I liken the Behmor to a point-and-shoot camera. In unskilled hands, it can product acceptable results. In moderately skilled hands, it will produce better results, but once you reach a certain level, the automation and limitations become an overriding factor, and the machine becomes frustrating because it will not do what you want it to do.

I love my Nikkormat FT2.

-
allon