[Homeroast] OT Test - input wanted

Yakster yakster at gmail.com
Mon Dec 13 17:17:43 CST 2010

A little more detail on this can be found here:

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/gmail/thread?tid=2d5dbc1f28270634&hl=en

Basically, GMail is following the RFC5322 standard literally and treating
the reply from a mailing list that has the same Message-ID as the item in
it's sent folder as a duplicate and not showing it.  If the mailing list
changes the Message-ID when it is sent out, then you'd be able to see the
copy being sent and verify that your message went out to the list.  If not,
all you'll see is the copy that you sent, which in some cases is added to
the message thread, without knowing if it was actually sent out to the list
or not.

>From RFC5322:

The "Message-ID:" field provides a unique message identifier that refers to
> a particular version of a particular message.  The uniqueness of the message
> identifier is guaranteed by the host that generates it (see below).  This
> message identifier is intended to be machine readable and not necessarily
> meaningful to humans.  A message identifier pertains to exactly one version
> of a particular message; subsequent revisions to the message each receive
> new message identifiers.

and

Note: There are many instances when messages are "changed", but those
> changes do not constitute a new instantiation of that message, and therefore
> the message would not get a new message identifier.  For example, when
> messages are introduced into the transport system, they are often prepended
> with additional header fields such as trace fields (described in section
> 3.6.7) and resent fields (described in section 3.6.6).  The addition of such
> header fields does not change the identity of the message and therefore the
> original "Message-ID:" field is retained.  In all cases, it is the meaning
> that the sender of the message wishes to convey (i.e., whether this is the
> same message or a different message) that determines whether or not the
> "Message-ID:" field changes, not any particular syntactic difference that
> appears (or does not appear) in the message.

This is frustrating, and I've considered the suggestion of subscribing from
a second email address to see that my messages made it out, but so far it
seems like most of my messages have made it through.

-Chris