[Homeroast] Why I will be selling my Behmor and buying an M3

Greg Hollrigel ghollrigel at gmail.com
Mon Dec 13 13:17:41 CST 2010

This is so bizarre, if you don't mind another opinion.  I have about 160
roasts with the Behmor under my belt and have roasted anywhere from 8 oz to
16 oz.  I never have these problems of underroasting, unless I just guess
wrong.  Anytime I'm on P3 or P4, I can easily get to 2nd crack.  Granted,
I'm in So California, where it barely gets cold, so that may play a little
bit of a factor.  I've successfully roasted Tom's beans from a bunch of
different countries.

I know for me, my roasts taste better than what I can get locally, so even
if I'm not hitting all the beans perfectly, they still taste great.  For
instance, I've been playing around with the Sidamo Maduro and a Sulawesi
that was highly recommended a few months ago, and those beans are
outstanding.

I'm just wondering if this is really more due to variations in the Behmor
units.  I believe my smoke suppressor has broken, since I seem to get more
smoke these days.  But overall, it's working great.  It just seems so odd
that so many different people, who are all fanatical to some degree since
they roast their own, have such different experiences.

Greg