[Homeroast] Why I will be selling my Behmor and buying an M3

David Rossell drossell at NorwoodSchool.org
Mon Dec 13 10:41:31 CST 2010

I agree with you completely that precision results are very difficult, if not impossible, with the Behmor.  I dearly wish there were some way to learn the temperature of the beans and manually regulate the temperature of the roaster itself.  I can't explain why we'd have such different experiences with getting beans to first crack, but I can see how that would be infuriating.  Every once in a while I look at the Gene Cafe and think that it would be nice to have that control.  But then I sigh and say, yeah, but it only roasts a half pound.

Best of luck with the Quest!

David

-----Original Message-----
From: Hank Perkins [mailto:hankperkins at gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, December 13, 2010 11:12 AM
To: A list to discuss home coffee roasting. There are rules for thislist, available at http://www.sweetmarias.com/maillistinfo.html
Subject: Re: [Homeroast] Why I will be selling my Behmor and buying an M3

I am glad the Behmor meets your needs. If you go back and read my original email on why I bought the Quest you will see how I got there. The Behmor is capable of roasting coffee. I had difficulty achieving repeatability. I am used to manual control in the things I use. The begining of the end for me was the last bit of Kona I had. It was around 13 oz. Roaster was clean. I used P2  1 pound and a preheat.  After all + ups the coffee never hit C1. I tried to drink it. It went in the drain.

My main  issue with the Behmor is as follows. There is a disconnect between the roaster and the instructions. Secondly I believe I baked as much coffee as I roasted.

Even so, at $300 as an entry level for what it does it is a buy. I was unsuccessful at producing the roasted coffees I know the green beans are capable of.

Thanks,
Hank