[Homeroast] Why I will be selling my Behmor and buying an M3

David Rossell drossell at NorwoodSchool.org
Mon Dec 13 08:45:36 CST 2010

This list is full of roasters with far, far more experience than I have, but I can't help but feel that the Behmor has gotten a bad rap in this thread.  I regularly roast 12 oz of beans on P3 without any problem at all of getting them through first crack and into second (if that's what I'm shooting for).  I sometimes roast 1 lb. of beans, again without a problem reaching first crack.  I don't use a voltage regulator or any fancy electrical devices.  I plug in the Behmor put in the beans, and it just works.

For me at least, the Behmor fills a crucial niche--an indoor roaster that can do 12-16 ounces of coffee per batch.  I "hack" the P3 roast profile by opening the door during and after first crack to stretch the roast a bit.  Am I not squeezing every last bit of flavor out of the beans?  Almost certainly.  Are my roasts 100 percent reproducable.  Nope.  But that's okay, since I'm roasting for my own pleasure and that of my family and friends.  And I can do it under my range hood without filling the house with smoke.

That's an amazing machine.

David

-----Original Message-----
From: BSGarley [mailto:bsgarley.public at gmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, December 11, 2010 7:38 PM
To: 'A list to discuss home coffee roasting. There are rules for this list, available at http://www.sweetmarias.com/maillistinfo.html'
Subject: Re: [Homeroast] Why I will be selling my Behmor and buying an M3

I think (IMHO) that what is NOT right is having a 1# machine that can only perform to ones expectations with 8 (or 12) oz of beans. At that point the Behmor is a quarter kilo instrument and must be compared to other quarter kilo devices.

At the current time I am satisfied with the results of roasting with a Behmor and I usually roast a pound at a time. But, every individual will have to assess their own situation to see if it satisfies their objectives.

Bruce Garley
New Port Richey, FL
Stillwater, MN
San Juan Capistrano, CA and the list goes on ...

Vivir con miedo es como vivir a medias.