[Homeroast] Body development > Behmor P2 Help

miKe mcKoffee mcKona at comcast.net
Sat Dec 11 13:34:30 CST 2010

Disclaimer: Let me preface by saying I don't have a clue what I'm talking
about, just fake it fairly well based on a decade profile roasting
experience observations literally tons of coffee augmented by copious but
not enough reading and studying anything coffee. Doesn't mean a thing, I'm
still clueless! The more I know the more I know I don't know.

Ok that said, I believe the start of 1st to EOR stretch is primarily
responsible for the acidic "pop" and flavor definitions (shorter time)
versus "sweetness" and roundness (longer), while the tanning stage acidity
(faster ramp) versus body (slower). Most roasts I like somewhere between 12
to 20f/min ramp tanning stage (up to start of 1st) depending on the bean and
desired result. Faster than 20f/min always (usually) seemed too "thin" a
result. This was true including Caffe' Rosto roasting years ago. Most roasts
I like somewhere between 3 to 5min start C1 to EOR. Which may seem kind of
crazy since an FR can do the entire roast in 5min not just final stage! And
I can and did do 5min CR roasts emulating the FR just for fun, results
sucked big time.

Coffee is a balancing act with infinite variables. Last week a customer
commented to their friend as I was staging greens during a roast session
"he's the 'genius' that makes this coffee so great". I commented I'm really
just a mad scientist coffee artist that fakes it pretty well.

Slave to the Bean  miKe mcKoffee
www.CompassCoffeeRoasting.com
http://www.mckoffee.com/

http://themeyers.org/HomeRoast/