[Homeroast] Why I will be selling my Behmor and buying an M3

mark jones markjones420 at rcn.com
Sat Dec 11 13:28:42 CST 2010

Quoting Ivan:

"At 10 min. no sign of first crack near. I added the maximum amount of time.
At just one minute before the time ran out, first crack started.
I was angry that I could not add a little more time. Why not? Why does the
dang thing have to strictly limit how much time you can add. Even my IR2
allows you to add as much time as you want at the end.
Anyway, I only got to a C roast, and barely. First crack was starting to
subside a little right before Cool started. All I needed was another 15-30
seconds on that roast.
This is why I'm ditching the Behmor. Far too many times it has left me
sitting with an underdeveloped roast because I can't add a little more time.
I have great line voltage (125 under load) so that isn't the problem.
So I will start saving my pennies today for the M3 and I will be selling my
B1600."

Having used the Behmor for about 1 year now, I've made some adjustments in how I interact with the last few minutes of any of my roasts.  As I approach the end of the programmed timed cycles I start to guestimate the amount of time needed to get to where I want the roast to get too.  If I hit zero and the cool cycle kicks in, and I want to extend the roast for a while longer, I just turn the machine off. I count to 5 and hit cool and let it run for about 2 seconds. repeat as needed. I do that to keep the beans mixing and not burning as they touch each other and the drum.  When I do this, the residual heat takes the beans as dark as I want them. Spinning them for a moment stops any burning. The cool cycle really doesn't get wound up and the fan barely starts. I've done this for up to several minutes and had great results.
As others have noted, and I follow the same procedure, I seldom put 1 pound of beans in and roast them.  I like 10 to 12 ounces at a time. I set the 1 pound base time and go from there.  I now start a roast, set a timer for 13 minutes and return to make adjustments during the last 5 to 10 minutes.
As a side note. My name is Mark Jones. I have read posts on the forum from a different Mark Jones. I'll be Mark Jones (pa) since I'm in Pennsylvania.  I enjoy all the threads and interaction within the homeroast board. You folks are passionate about your Java and I have and continue to learn from both observing and doing.
This is my first post. I'm sure there will be more.

Mark Jones(pa)