[Homeroast] Why I will be selling my Behmor and buying an M3

Jim Couch ravskau at gmail.com
Sat Dec 11 11:38:04 CST 2010

Been reading kinda conflicting info on this thread. Can't hit first crack
yet times on profiles are limited due to ease of hitting "Third Crack". True
you may hafta lie to your machine (1/2 pound run on full pound setting) In
fact I could go along with calling a B1600 a half pound
roaster........Sounds like folks are very "Hot" to try the Quest M3 and
trying to justify with reasons other than just I Wanna...........

On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 10:48 AM, John Nanci <john at chocolatealchemy.com>wrote:

> Ivan,
>
> Why didn't you put it on the 1 lb setting and roast the 8oz?  It would have
> given you plenty of time.  On the other hand, if that is what you did, and
> you could not roast 8 oz in 20 minutes, something is wrong and you should
> contact customer support.  That isn't right.
>

> At 06:26 PM 12/10/2010, you wrote:
>
>> Today I found a real treasure while shifting some stuff in my deep freeze
>> (non defrosting).
>> It was a vacuum sealed 1/2 pound of '07 crop IMV, a legendary bean
>> everybody
>> here will remember. It must have slid down past the box I keep my beans
>> in.
>> So it has been lurking there for nearly 4 years!
>> So I let it thaw, and against my better judgment decided to roast it in
>> the
>> Behmor, aiming for a modest C+
>> So I preheated (without beans) and loaded the full 8oz with P2 and 13
>> minutes.
>> Launch.
>> At 10 min. no sign of first crack near. I added the maximum amount of
>> time.
>> At just one minute before the time ran out, first crack started.
>> I was angry that I could not add a little more time. Why not? Why does the
>> dang thing have to strictly limit how much time you can add. Even my IR2
>> allows you to add as much time as you want at the end.
>> Anyway, I only got to a C roast, and barely. First crack was starting to
>> subside a little right before Cool started. All I needed was another 15-30
>> seconds on that roast.
>> This is why I'm ditching the Behmor. Far too many times it has left me
>> sitting with an underdeveloped roast because I can't add a little more
>> time.
>> I have great line voltage (125 under load) so that isn't the problem.
>> So I will start saving my pennies today for the M3 and I will be selling
>> my
>> B1600.
>>

>> Ivan

"Idiots are so much fun! Thats why every village either has one or wants
one!"
G. House MD.