[Homeroast] Why I will be selling my Behmor and buying an M3

Bob Hazen peatmonster at comcast.net
Fri Dec 10 21:40:35 CST 2010

Ivan,

Your post got me to thinking. . . .  (no small feat on a Friday evening)

I have also struggled with the Behmor's inflexibility.  I have been content,
mostly, with P2.  I think I have it psyched out, but it annoys me to jump
through hoops to outwit the roaster.  It sure seems that the control board
could be replaced with an array of switches for the various operating modes.
Full manual control (and responsibility) would result.  This could be done
by most anybody with a bit of do-it-yourself mindset.  Slippery slope for
sure.  The next step for folks with microcontroller knowledge would be a
replacement controller board.

I'd venture that the built-in limitations were mandated by the safety agency
(UL?  ETL??) that listed the product.  Clearly, bypassing the safeguards may
increase the user's risk.  Having worked with these agencies, though, I
don't expect their requirements ensure a safe product anyway.

Bob