[Homeroast] Quest M3 Arrives, Is it worth it?

Joseph Robertson theotherjo at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 20:32:05 CST 2010

Robert,
Not exactly. I would agree with you if the beans came out toasted on the
outside and not done on the inside. Coffee that comes out of the Behmor is
usually done throughout depending on who is at the helm. I do see your
analogy though, my toaster oven ( which looks very close to the Behmor )
does a great job broiling a game hen with electric elements.
Regarding your subject of wire mesh vers. solid drums, miKe covered this
nicely. Most of my roasting experience after a home roasting intro. has been
with a Probat 5L. Until a few minutes ago I was under the impression my
Probat had a solid 1/2" cast iron drum 14" deep. I'm glad I looked. Of all
the lists I post to, this is one I do not want to pass bogus information on.
I got this impression from the person that sold the roaster to me and one
other who I'm sure knew even less. As it turns out the first 3" is 1/2" cast
iron but the last 11"are what appears to be steel alloy of maybe 1/8". Great
air flow but not the air control that miKe has with his USRC.
When I started this post I was all prepared to tout the benefits of roasting
in a cast iron solid drum, cast iron being so good at distributing heat like
all the cast iron some of us used to cook with. Now I realize the drum is
not that different from the USRC or Quest. I think the USRC is stainless.
Does the Quest have a stainless drum?
My profiles with the Probat are rock solid as it sounds like the Quest will
be also. You all have me thinking the Quest might make a very nice sample /
and or shop roaster for everyone to gather around.
Keep posting all your Quest notes. Great to hear how well you are all
enjoying it.
Joe