[Homeroast] Quest M3 Arrives, Is it worth it?

Mike Chester mchet at charter.net
Thu Dec 9 09:55:13 CST 2010

With a solid or fine perforated drum, you get a true drum roast.  The gas
burner or electric element heats the drum and it transfers the heat to its
inside.  The beans are heated slightly by contact with the hot metal
(conduction) but spend most of the time falling through heated air and are
heated by gentle convection.  With an open mesh screen such as the Behmor
has, you have some heating through conduction and convection, but the mass
of the drum is much less and less heat is transferred these ways.  The
infrared energy from the element passes through the mesh and strikes the
beans directly heating them also, and this provides most of the heat
transfer.  (You can think of it as the difference between roasting a piece
of meat and broiling it.  Both methods get it cooked, but the results taste
differently)  There is nothing wrong with the infrared heating done in the
Behmor, you just need to understand the difference and adjust for it if
using a profile from a true drum roaster.

Mike Chester