[Homeroast] Quest M3 Arrives, Is it worth it?

miKe mcKoffee mcKona at comcast.net
Thu Dec 9 00:44:48 CST 2010

Controlling airflow and thus controlling convection is key to quick control
in commercial (style) drum roasters. Convection is the primary heat source
commercial roasters, not induction or infrared.

Solid drum superior affording more even heat. The entire drum is heated not
just an open mesh allowing heat in through the openings. Drum itself slower
to change heat yes, and roast changes slower responding IF attempting to
control profile strictly via applied heat. See above.

The QM3's solid drum combined with variable airflow is what makes it unique
in the home roasting arena and most able to replicate a good commercial drum
roaster.

Controlling airflow is one of those strange somewhat counter intuitive
things that takes time and many many roasts to begin to get a handle on.
Airflow can draw heat OUT of the chamber slowing a roast and/or apply more
heat to the beans via convection speeding the roast. What!? Learning how
much airflow when with how much flame for what result, tricky science and
art. And changes never immediate so you always want to know where you are
and where you want to be and where you want to go to make changes in advance
to arrive when you want where you want. Yeah, a mouthful.

It's easy to turn beans brown, it's a lifetime Journey learning to make
beans sing.

Slave to the Bean  miKe mcKoffee
www.CompassCoffeeRoasting.com
http://www.mckoffee.com/