[Homeroast] Larger-than-250g roaster? (was: Quest M3)

Edward Bourgeois edbourgeois at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 13:23:23 CST 2010

Other than the RK drum the off the shelf roasters are intended for
indoor use. Once you get past a 1/2lb. batch size you get into
smoke/exhaust and power issues. The Behmor tried to put some power
into the after burn and the rest into the main heaters but comes up
short when trying to do closer to a lb. with a good profile. As you
start to put full draw on a common 15amp line you can also have
voltage drop issues. Then there is the UL approved factor for home
non-professional use. My homebuilt(see my blog) does 1-1.25lbs with
the very most demanding profile and up to 2lbs with a lesser demanding
profile. I have to plug into 2 separate circuits and set the roaster
next to a window with a box fan blowing the smoke out. The room still
smells like coffee but the smoke level is acceptable. I found out
several years ago that if I were to try to produce my roaster design
for others home use I've been told I would need to have it UL approved
which would mean big $$$$ and they would laugh at me needing the 2
circuits and the box fan(though I have a flexible exhaust pipe idea
that could be set out a window when roasting instead of the box fan).
A rather simple SC/TO homebuilt will do a lb to a little more but the
stirring ability of a stir crazy is lacking.
Commercial roasters around 1kg are quite expensive and built for
commercial all day use. We tend to want something more prosumer like
in build. The Quest is this type of roaster in build quality and thus
a more reasonable price (but does at present have a lack of UL
approval).

--
Ed Bourgeois aka farmroast
Amherst MA.