[Homeroast] Larger-than-250g roaster? (was: Quest M3)

Kysh kyshie at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 11:35:08 CST 2010

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 9:08 AM, Hank Perkins <hankperkins at gmail.com> wrote:
> Kysh,
>
> With all due respect,

Never a good way to start an email... ;>

>  based on my investigations, when you move to
> roasting 1 pound plus you are dealing with commercial grade roasters.
> Generally these systems require permanent installations and  custom
> exhaust venting.  When I looked at these roasters the gas installation
> and the vent installation were more than I was willing to deal with.
> The roasters you are looking at start around $4,000 just for the
> roaster.

That's not a problem, though something like the sample roaster Tom had
a few years back would have been great.

>   Gas and ventilation is going to run at least another $1,000
> and often require inspections by city inspectors.

Hence the requirement for propane.

> This can effect your insurance.  If in fact you plan to roast in a leased facility this
> could have lease considerations with regard to the modifications and
> the operation of the roaster depending on the lease.

Again, I'm not looking for a Diedrich 12k at the moment, so I'm not
planning to make any modifications. I'm not roasting in my kitchen...

-Kysh