[Homeroast] Larger-than-250g roaster? (was: Quest M3)

Hank Perkins hankperkins at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 09:36:19 CST 2010

I looked at the RK Drum / Gas Grill seriously a year ago.  The big
concern I had here was repeatability.

As a general rule, with this type roaster, you roast outside in
variable wind and temperature conditions with a roaster that without
some serious engineering/modifications is susceptible to  the effect
of these environmental changes.  I never was able to resolve concerns
I had about roast repeatability with this type of set up.  Bringing
this type of roaster into an environment where you can control wind
and temp defeats the point of an affordable, higher volume roaster.
As a result I eliminated this as a choice for my needs.

I believe that to roast more than a pound at a time requires 220v at
higher amperage's (think dryer) or a gas driven roaster.  There are
some fluid bed roaster designs out there that you can build that will
do a pound or more using a 220v circuit. But, consider this 220v is
serious, dangerous power that will kill you.  I believe this is one
reason we don't see this type of roaster on the market.

Hank