[Homeroast] Larger-than-250g roaster? (was: Quest M3)

g paris p pchforever at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 09:05:43 CST 2010

Hi Kysh:

Greetings from Northern Arizona, where I roast all year in my Hot Top...

I was having the same issue a month or so ago; I wanted a larger batch
machine. I have used 3 Hot Tops, a Behmor, a Gene Cafe and a Fresh Roast.
Since I am selling coffee to my local Country Store and a cafe in town I
wanted
something with a larger capacity.

All are gone but my trusty Hot Top (older ones sold or parted out)  and I
have a new addition of the
Quest 3M.

After looking high and low at new or used small batch roaster 1 to 1 1/2
pounder
they wee simply too much money. I ended up with two choices at were in the
price
range I wanted to spend.

One was the Quest 3M, the other can be found here:
http://koffeekosmo.com.au/ The Kosmo Roaster has a sweet spot of
between 1 and 1 1/2 pounds. I will still most likely get on but not until
after the first of the year. My sister after listening to my emails about
roasters called Coffee Shrub and had them send me a Quest 3M.

Funny thing is I have not even used it yet because right before I got it I
broke my wrist
and my right hand is the one I will use to turn the knobs with...

The batch size is a lot smaller then Kosmo's roaster but I can run both the
Hot Top
and the Quest on top of my very large kitchen range since I have a hood that
will suck up a dog or two when it's turned up only to med so smoke is no
issues for me.

The final decision was simply dropped into my lap because of my sweet sister
but it will serve me in the long run because I can still roast a pound plus
at one
time but I will have the advantage of learning more about roasting since the
Quest is 100% manual.

Most of my coffee sales at this time are 1/2 pound bags; local folks seem to
like the idea of trying different coffees without having to buy a 1 pound
bag.

For me all works out. Please let us know what you decide.

Check out Kosmo's very cool roaster. You will also fine him on my forum
http://www.homeroasters.org/php/news.php
where there is a complete thread on his roaster as well as many other
custom roasters.

regards,

ginny