[Homeroast] Quest M3 Arrives, Is it worth it?

Hank Perkins hankperkins at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 08:49:40 CST 2010

Scott/Mike,

As I am not a pro roaster I offer the following:

The Quest compared to the other roasters I have used is like comparing
a Wal Mart frying pan to a Le Cruset frying pan.  They both cook but
they perform much differently and are built differently.  I am totally
impressed with how well the Quest M3 is built.  It does not look or
feel like some Chinese counter top appliance.

I have been able to roast with a pro on a Deidrich IR once before.
Although the Quest is electric and not gas the experience is very
similar.  Electric is slower to react both heating up and cooling
down.  It does require the user to be a bit more proactive than gas
but you adjust fan speed instead of a damper, and element amps instead
of gas flow.

I can't wait to have the thermocouples and data logger instead of the
analog thermometer.  With the analog gauge it is very difficult to
determine the environmental rate of change to the adjustments I was
making.  I was very lucky to hit the time on the Jimma as I did.

Hank