[Homeroast] Quest M3 Arrives, Is it worth it?

Edward Bourgeois edbourgeois at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 23:54:03 CST 2010

It's kinda like a 21st century type Olympia Cremina. Small company,
simple, old school, well designed and built, pro worthy. Manual!  No
reason why a Quest wouldn't be able to last a long time. Compatible
with the concepts used with bigger drum roasters.  The price is at a
good price point for this quality/level of a roaster. Similar to the
price range of better prosumer espresso machines.  This might create a
chance to make something somewhat from here. At some point there will
be used ones available and serviceable and hopefully some new similar
designs. A Quest type machine seems like a nice option for many pro
roasters too.
We gotta get Ben working on some roaster drawings.

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 10:26 PM, miKe mcKoffee <mcKona at comcast.net> wrote:
> Scott, if it was me I'd go for a QM3. For the price of a commercial sample
> roaster you could have more than one QM3, and QM3 would afford more
> versatility (profiling control capability) versus traditional barrel sample
> roaster. Unless you're talking about something like a USRC .5k as a sample
> roaster.
>
> I'm still using a CCR HotTop as my sample roaster but would rather have two
> QM3 for what I paid for the CCR HT...or one QM3 and some halogens for vac:)
>
> Not that the CCR HT isn't pretty nifty, but I believe from all I've read and
> what I understand of how the the QM3 works that it's capable of superior
> roasts, close to if not on par with my USRC. QM3 fully manual of course so
> doesn't have the automation advantage of the CCR HT, but I could live with
> that.
>
> Slave to the Bean  miKe mcKoffee
> www.CompassCoffeeRoasting.com
> http://www.mckoffee.com/