[Homeroast] using KitchenAid mixer for roasting?

Allon Stern allon at radioactive.org
Sun Dec 5 23:16:14 CST 2010

On Dec 5, 2010, at 11:31 PM, raymanowen at gmail.com wrote:

> The whisk might be less likely to plastic-coat the batch of beans in the
> mixer, but the Kitchenaid is one of the few memory aids I have of my Celtic
> Coffee Critic honey. I wouldn't dream of risking it over a bread machine. A
> thrift store bread machine is much cheaper than the K-A and accessories that
> would become useless if the gear motor or speed control were cooked.

Come to think of it, I believe there is a sacrificial nylon gear in the geartrain.
I'm guessing heat would not be good for it.

I recommend finding the service manual for these machines, if you have one.
and you can get parts (and the service manual) here:
http://www.mendingshed.com/kitaidparts.html
-
allon