[Homeroast] using KitchenAid mixer for roasting?

raymanowen at gmail.com raymanowen at gmail.com
Sun Dec 5 22:31:07 CST 2010

I had the same thought about our Kitchenaid mixer but thought better of it
when I considered the elevated heat of roasting. Nothing about the mixer is
designed to be in 450° F direct heat- it will get to the motor and gearbox.
The dough hook is plastic coated aluminum, so would have "telegraphed" the
heat right up to the drive spindle and cooked the gears after it stripped
the plastic coating off.

A bread machine Is designed to knead a doughball, so has plenty of torque to
agitate loose beans. The motor is likely a split-capacitor type and is
thermally insulated from the 325° F baking temperatures. The whole machine
is designed to handle Heat every time it operates, unlike the mixer.

The whisk might be less likely to plastic-coat the batch of beans in the
mixer, but the Kitchenaid is one of the few memory aids I have of my Celtic
Coffee Critic honey. I wouldn't dream of risking it over a bread machine. A
thrift store bread machine is much cheaper than the K-A and accessories that
would become useless if the gear motor or speed control were cooked.

Cheers, Mabuhay -Ray Owen