[Homeroast] using KitchenAid mixer for roasting?

Allon Stern allon at radioactive.org
Sun Dec 5 12:51:11 CST 2010

On Dec 5, 2010, at 12:52 PM, Derek Bradford wrote:

> My Kitchenaid (a Professional 600) has a thermistor that shuts the machine
> down when it gets too hot.  I'm sure it's meant to sense the motor being too
> hot, but if I try to whip a few pounds of hot boiled potatoes, the machine
> shuts off after about one minute.  It won't start again for several minutes,
> even though the motor itself never overheated.  I override this by fanning
> the steam away from the machine as I work, but I don't think this would be
> good if you were roasting since it would draw away the heat and mess up the
> roast.

My K45 has never shut down, though the whole motor section gets pretty dern hot when smashing pasta through the rollers....
The service manual states:

HEATING
Under normal conditions, the mixer will not show any tendency to heat because of the built-in ventilating system in the motor. Under heavy loads with extended mixing time periods, the mixer head may heat up to the point of being uncomfortable to touch.

The schematic diagram does not show any heat sensor; then again, the ground wire is shown as "optional"....

-
allon