[Homeroast] using KitchenAid mixer for roasting?

Derek Bradford derekbradford at gmail.com
Sun Dec 5 11:52:09 CST 2010

My Kitchenaid (a Professional 600) has a thermistor that shuts the machine
down when it gets too hot.  I'm sure it's meant to sense the motor being too
hot, but if I try to whip a few pounds of hot boiled potatoes, the machine
shuts off after about one minute.  It won't start again for several minutes,
even though the motor itself never overheated.  I override this by fanning
the steam away from the machine as I work, but I don't think this would be
good if you were roasting since it would draw away the heat and mess up the
roast.

--Derek

On Sun, Dec 5, 2010 at 5:25 AM, Kim Phipps <kphipps at mac.com> wrote:

> Has anyone ever tried using a heat gun with a Kitchen Aid standing mixer
> for roasting beans? I was trying to find a breadmaker to try that with a
> heat gun, but I realized that I already had a strong motor and a metal bowl
> with my Kitchen Aid. The beaters are metal. Is there any obvious reason why
> this might not work that I'm just not thinking about?
> Thanks,
> Kim

Every path but your own is the path of fate.  --Thoreau