[Homeroast] using KitchenAid mixer for roasting?

Allon Stern allon at radioactive.org
Sun Dec 5 11:38:20 CST 2010

On Dec 5, 2010, at 4:25 AM, Kim Phipps wrote:

> Has anyone ever tried using a heat gun with a Kitchen Aid standing mixer for roasting beans? I was trying to find a breadmaker to try that with a heat gun, but I realized that I already had a strong motor and a metal bowl with my Kitchen Aid. The beaters are metal. Is there any obvious reason why this might not work that I'm just not thinking about?
> Thanks,
> Kim

My. I love my kitchenaid. Not sure I'd do that, though...but it should work...the only concern I have is how hot the mixer beater will get. It's a porcelain covered metal; it might be able to stand the heat. If not, they should be inexpensive to replace.
Also, the heating of the bowl while it's in the base...might cause it to bind.

I have a K45 mixer from my mom, the mixer I used to sit next to on the counter, licking the beaters.
Still works like a charm.
-
allon