[Homeroast] Coffee grown in LA

Tom & Maria - Sweet Maria's Coffee sweetmarias at sweetmarias.com
Sat Dec 4 15:43:04 CST 2010

I posted a video about our 2010 Finca West Oakland crop on the weblog
and youtube:

http://sweetmarias.com/weblog

Coffee grown in California climates is going to be pretty awful
unless you can manage to get some flavor and sweetness from it by
manipulating  the processing, which some would see as a cheat toward
quality. The thing you might never be able to change is the softness
of the bean  - coffee grown at 10 meters or 50 meters or 500 meters
has not yet shown the ability to taste like coffee grown at 1500
meters.

Tom

>An article in the LA Times (link appended) about a grower in LA (whose more
>mainstream crops are exotic fruit) that wants to compete with Kona. The
>article says this is his "first true crop", whatever that means.
>
>I wish I were near enough LA to check it out. Anybody want to submit a
>tasting?
>
>http://articles.latimes.com/2010/dec/03/food/la-fo-marketwatch-20101203
>
>"Divide and rule, a sound motto. Unite and lead a better one." Johann
>Wolfgang von Goethe

-Tom