[Homeroast] IRoast 2

msmb at suddenlink.net msmb at suddenlink.net
Sat Dec 4 11:18:04 CST 2010

My IRoast -1, which recently died, gave me several years of excellent roasts, probably over 300 pounds.  At one point I roasted probably around 20 pounds for my daughter's wedding party within one week, doing several roasts per day and waiting only 15 minutes between them.  It was a an excellent machine, and several weeks since it broke I am pretty much where you are.  I have been trying out an air popper and find that if you want a very cost effective device it works pretty well.  Thus far I have only invested in the popper (about $4 at my local thrift store) and an infrared thermometer.  For cooling I use a small but very powerful fan and find that it is even faster than my I-Roast was.  The only thing that is missing is a controller for the temperature, which I have not yet had the time to deal with.  But even without it there are are several possibilities for controlling temperature.  See Tom's video on using a popcorn popper for installation of a switch that will provide some control over the two heat elements.  Again, I haven't had time to deal with it and the simpler possibility is just to use a power strip with an on/off switch.  Once you get the beans up to temperature you just turn it on and off about every 5 seconds.  The temperatures will fluctuate within a range, but this is no different from my I roast as well.  You can keep them within a 5 of 10 degree range.  The problem here, so far as I can see is if you allow the temperature to go down too much and the beans are not turning then you are baking them.  The other possibility is to just let the device run, with a continual increase in temperature up to its upper level (around 475 degrees). You do get to that upper level very quickly and the total time of your roast will be 5 or 6 minutes.  I admit that my roasts are not as good, as sweet tasting, as with the I-Roast.  Perhaps the temperature controller and my increasing proficiency will help that.  But while you figure out which roaster to get it is an excellent method for home roasting.  The amount of beans that you can roast is about the same as what is used --at least what I used-- in the I-roast; 86 grams.