[Homeroast] Making Espresso

Yakster yakster at gmail.com
Sun Aug 29 13:12:08 CDT 2010

That's great news, Hank.  When I started with a thrift store DeLonghi, I did
a lot of reading of websites and coffee forums (Coffee Geek and
Home-Barista) and after picking up a good hand grinder was able to finally
get drinkable espresso by temperature surfing.  Randy Glass' site
www.espressomyespresso.com helped me get started.  Also, I've heard that
there's a Gaggia Yahoo! Groups site, but since I didn't have a Gaggia, I
didn't check it out... it's at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gaggia/.

Besides having a good grind and proper temperature, one of the biggest
hurdles to good espresso should be no problem to you, fresh beans.  Since I
started as a home roaster coming from drip coffee, I had the fresh coffee
down pat, like you do.  It was only later when I had some older commercially
roasted beans that I even experienced the lack of crema and problems pulling
a good shot with stale coffee.  This gives you a leg up on your way.  With
beans that are just roasted, sometimes you'll have problems with too much
outgassing during the extraction, but grinding your coffee fifteen or so
minutes before you pull the shot can be quite a big help for those times
when you don't have anything rested.

Enjoy,

-Chris