[Homeroast] Turning Bottomless Portafilter

miKe mcKoffee mcKona at comcast.net
Sun Aug 29 12:40:20 CDT 2010

Been involved in and read discussions of shot perceived difference, if any,
between nekkid and spouted for close to a decade. Many of these discussions
with some of the most acute palates in the world often using the most
cutting edge equipment in the world like Roburs or Versalab grinders and
GS3s or Speetsters etc. (And everthing on down.) Don't recall temperature of
the resulting cup ever being an issue. Usually biggest perceived difference
is in the "unstirred" straight shot with spouted being creamier texture
versus nekkid. Stir the shot and difference bye-bye.

If someone thinks they can pull a couple or few shots a day and be even
close to 90% consistent without ongoing shot feedback IMO quite delusional.
Indeed quite a bit of can be gleened watching spouted flow (with years of
experience not just an afternoon of instruction), but not as much or as
rapidly as pulling nekkid. It ain't primarily about showy shots, it's about
quality shot production.

And a HUGE advantage of pulling nekkid in a busy environment is the PF
doesn't need periodic cleaning at all, zero, zip. No old coffee clinging to
spout and crevices degrading shots. Baskets easily kept clean rinsing just
rinsing both sides same time post shot flushing group after each shot and
wiping dry. During the day periodic water backflushes and basket steam
cleaning all that's needed to keep it clean and shot quality high.

The biggest complaint I hear from some people using nekkid PF's is mess from
frequent spraying. If that's a constant problem PF build technique is faulty
plan and simple. Pulling with spout will merely mask it not correct it.

miKe