[Homeroast] Making Espresso

Barry Luterman lutermanb at gmail.com
Sun Aug 29 10:15:59 CDT 2010

Another member turning to the dark side _

On Aug 29, 2010 8:13 AM, "Hank Perkins" <hankperkins at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, all the work made a big difference. Creama is still to light
> but ALL the bitterness is gone. WOW!!
>
> I may become an espresso guy yet!! This was the best espresso I have
> every tasted.
>
> I will bring the Rocky down two marks to 8 and try again.
>
> I am pumped, I didn't think espresso would taste like this, or that I
> just didn't have the touch.
>
> THANKS GUYS, You have come through again.
>
> On Sun, Aug 29, 2010 at 10:02 AM, Scott Miller <peechdogg at gmail.com>
wrote:
>> How long after you hit the brew switch before the elixir starts to
>> drip is another thing to consider. You definitely want to see what
>> happens once the Liquid Amber has rested 3-4 days, and it may be that
>> 2 year beans are a bit long in the tooth.
>>
>> In general, I recall that with my Gaggia Coffee DeLuxe, the best shots
>> came when there was about a 4-5 second delay before espresso started
>> to drip. With a properly dosed, distributed & tamped double (14 g)
>> basket I would get about 1.75 oz shot before blonding happened.
>> Including the 4-5 second delay, total brew time was in the 26-30
>> second brew time.
>>
>> Keep working at it! The Gaggia can produce decent espresso for lattes
>> and do a good job texturing the milk.
>>
>> The SM espresso pages are good starting resource, too:
>> http://www.sweetmarias.com/espresso-general1.php
>>
>> cheers,
>>
>> Scott
>>
>> On Sun, Aug 29, 2010 at 9:23 AM, Hank Perkins <hankperkins at gmail.com>
wrote:
>>> Both coffees are roasted to full city.

always amazed at the difference it makes.  I don't realize the subtle
changes that happen between descaling until i descale.Oh and putting a
package of Grindz through the grinder.  Sounds like you know a lot about the
technique and science behind the pulls.If you've already done this, tell us
about the roast.How old was the Liquid Amber before your roasted it?Do you
remember much about the profile?How long did you rest it?I started an
espresso "quest" a couple of years ago, asked similar questions here on the
list and kept tweeking until i was pulling great shots at home.Glad i never
gave up!